Need help: Apartments in Malage

• Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronce
      Registro: 05-07-2008 Artículos: 17.678
      Hola!

First of all if you help me out, I am very grateful because at the moment I am very confused because I am not sure if I get scammed or it is a genuine deal.

The story is this:

My spanish friend told me ''fotocasa.es'' is a genuine website to look for apartments for both rent (Alquirer) or purchase throughout Spain.

Now since I wanted to spend some time in Spain, I was looking through it. I found an apartment in Málaga centro. The advertisement has been deleted but I have saved the pictures :)

It costs 300euro per month ( I was shocked when I read this ) for 72m² , fully furnished including internet, water, gas etc.
      My Spanish friend told me this was pretty normal and I saw the other prices of other apartments and they were fluctuating with 50-100euro so i was like alright
      Pictures:

Now I contacted the landlord. I couldn't find his name on google nor his email address but OK he told me in his opening email that he is a 40 years old civil engineer going to retire soon.

This person lives in Liverpool and not in Spain anymore. I cannot verify this by IP address since he has a gmail account.

I replied him back ''blabla hi, I am interested etc. + [color=red]Is the internet really secure and stable because I know it is a pain to contact an ISP provider in spain''

What was funny is that my friend acted as a middleman before and we both got the exact same copy paste emails (he send me 2 uptill now). More importantly he did NOT answered my question.

Anyways I replied back: ''yes yes how can we fix this deal then if you are in the UK''

And then he send me back a courier company TCLcourier.com which I have never heard about ( I know FedEX, UPS, DHL and DPDpost ). Their office on the website seems like a houseroom on Google maps.

Then he began to mention Western Union instead of normal wire transfer. I will quote exactly what he emailed me in the last email below:

Exactly copied from email:
      I want to inform you that TCL Courier will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
      I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to TCL Courier Service the first month of rent + security deposit - 600 EUR - so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.
      Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
      1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
      2 - I go to the TCL Courier Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
      3 - TCL Courier will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
      4 - TCL Courier will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
      5 - At this point you will have to go to a WesternUnion Agent Location and make a money transfer deposit on the TCL Courier agent name in Liverpool assigned with this transaction for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is for the first month of rent.
      6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to TCL Courier (MTCN#, sender's name and address)
      7 - TCL Courier will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
      8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is in order you will instruct TCL Courier to release the funds to me.
      If you don't like the apt they will send your money back and you will send them the keys and the contract to them to return the package back to me on my expense.I will pay TCL Courier Service for the shipping and you will pay WesternUnion for the Money Transfer fees.Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then i must have all the shipping details so i will be able to make all the arrangements for the TCL Courier delivery.

very Important: WesternUnion is just a methos of payment , they are not authorized to give you any information about this transaction for your security.You just have to do a normal money transfer to a person (TCL Courier agent).Only TCL Courier has access to this transaction for more security.

Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.

I think this person owns this courier service hence can cash it in himself by walking to a Western Union location.

I also told him I prefer DHL/UPS and I pay the difference.

Do you think this is genuine paying 300eu a month for a 72m² apartment in the centre of Málaga with this method? I guess most landlords live in Spain and even in the same city themselves right?

Thanks for your time and I might throw in a reward if you can help me out with this + maybe find an alternative in Malaga :)

Thanks,
      Gerv
  • 2 respuestas
    • samy4ever
      samy4ever
      Black
      Registro: 04-02-2008 Artículos: 18.682
      Hello Gerv,

I wouldn't rely on this offer. When I wanted to buy a motorbike, there were a few announces of good ones at good prize and when I contacted them all, it turned out to be (quite likely) the same guy living in UK as well. And he wanted me to pay by a weird method like yours. He showed me the website processor (like TLC) and when I checked it... The website was so simple and poor that I couldn't believe a company which process payments can have this website. I searched deeply on the Internet and found that there had been some scams like this one. So, I just refused to work this way.

I'd suggest you to look for another flat and avoid this kind of procedures. Make sure you can go there and talk face to face with the guy and not pay/receive keys online. Usually, this websites like fotocasa have a guide about what to take care when buying/renting something. Take a look at it.

And BTW, I don't live in Malaga, I'm currently living in Barcelona (Gibraltar soon) but 300€ for such a flat looks too cheap for me. Malaga is cheaper than Terrassa (my city) but still, too cheap.

Kind regards,
      Samy
    • YitanIX
      YitanIX
      Bronce
      Registro: 10-01-2010 Artículos: 5.504
      Hi Gerv!

Sincerely, as Samy says, it's hard to belive you can rent an apartment like that one in Malaga (or anywhere) for only 300€ a month.

Tell that man to fuck up and look for another one ;)

Take care,
      Angel